Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Kefalonia Pt.1 - Introduction and Arrival

For me, everything leading up to this point was essentially a bonus. China, Holland, France, Germany, Belgium, The Czech Republic, Austria, Switzerland and Italy. These were all places that for most people could be holidays in their own right. Yet for me they were pit stops / detours (albeit exciting and enjoyable ones) on the way to the final destination. That final destination of course being Greece, and more specifically, the island of Kefalonia where my dad grew up.

Most of you probably don't know this but at the tender old age of 27, this was actually my first time visiting my dad's island home. And ever since we arrived I've been asking myself "why the hell didn't I come sooner?!?!". Kefalonia truly is one of the most beautiful places on earth and I'm so glad I finally got off my ar$e to see it for myself.

The plan was for Alice and I to stay in Greece until the start of October, spending a total of about 3 months in Kefalonia. Unfortunately, a little inconvenience called the Schengen Agreement mean't that we could actually only stay for 1 month. It would have been nice if Flight Centre even had a vague idea about common visa issues for Australians traveling to Europe BEFORE they accepted large sums of cash from us. Anyway.


So following on from the previous blog, we were on the Ferry bound for Kefalonia. We travelled through the night, arriving early the next morning. As we approached I started to get excited. All these years of looking at pictures I was now seeing it with my own eyes. The landscape was different to what I was expecting. It was a lot greener, a lot more mountainous. It was awesome.


My parents had arrived in Greece a couple of weeks earlier and they were there to greet us in Sami :)


In the month that we were in Kefalonia I got to know my extended family really well, got a lot more confident with my greek, ate some amazing food, swam at some amazingly beautiful beaches, saw some truly amazing places, celebrated at numerous festivals (Paniyiris) and generally had the time of my life. But instead of writing about all of these things, this time I'm going to let the photos do most of the talking...

No comments:

Post a Comment