Friday, August 27, 2010

The Amalfi Coast

On our second day we got up early and drove along the Amalfi coast. I'd been warned before we left Australia not to drive there. It was apparent suicide but alas, I decided to give it a go. We started in Sorrento and slowly made our way to Positano (generally regarded as the prettiest village from everyone I've talked to).

Parking was terrible. There were cars parked all the way along the narrow two-lane road that weaved along the coastline. Scooters cut corners and even the cars did on occasion. It was pretty hard to drive and try to enjoy the view so Ali took some photos for me instead.


Despite the difficulties, we kept on. We decided to drive through all the small villages until the last one of Rovello, check it out then head back, stopping at each one along the way. Unfortunately parking was impossible so we had to just drive back the way we came. When we reached Positano I found a pretty dodgy place to park the car and jumped out to take a few photos.


I decided I really wanted to check this place out but knew it wasn't possible to do it in the car. Instead we had to drive back to the campsite (a round trip of 80 kilometres which took 4 hours!!!) and then catch a bus back to Positano.

Cut to a few hours later and we were finally back in the exact same spot. Only this time I didn't need to worry about finding a car park or dodging traffic. I could just enjoy the views :)

2 comments:

  1. Looks like you really need a big fuck off boat to get around properly. Someone needs to win lotto and get one of those big ones from that brochure of yours...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha very true!!! Wanna organise a lotto syndicate when I get back? ;)

    ReplyDelete