Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Berlin Pt.6 - Australia vs Germany

I was pretty excited when I worked out we'd be in Europe for the World Cup. Of course it was being staged in South Africa but we all know the Europeans are crazy for football so I knew wherever we'd be there would be a great atmosphere.

I had been carrying around my Socceroos jersey since we left Australia and now I had the perfect opportunity to show it off … the Australia vs Germany game in Berlin.

The lead up was awesome. Every car in Berlin had German flags hanging off their cars and a lot of them even had covers for their side mirrors with the flag on them so I was getting pretty excited. Unfortunately for me, I hadn't been following the Socceroos preparation and in my mind, they were as good as they were in the last World Cup. How wrong could I be?!

We had spent most of the day on walking tours and so we were pretty exhausted. Not to worry. A quick stop at the Haupftbahnhof to pick up healthy serving of beer and chips and dinner was sorted.

Like I said in a previous post, Berliners love the 'beach'. And for the World Cup, a lot of the beach bars had set up massive TV screens so we knew this would be the best place to watch the game. Having realised we wouldn't be able to take our drinks in and not wanting them to go to waste, I decided the best thing to do was to down them as quick as possible … in front of the Polizei hehe :)


I knew there wouldn't be many Australians there but I was counting on their being at least a few more. I counted 3 in the crowd. This was going to be very good, or very bad. Like I said before, I hadn't followed any of the football news prior to the World Cup so I had no idea how good the Aussies would be. That was until a young german girl and her boyfriend turned around and saw me wearing the gold jersey. She smiled and politely said "I'm sorry for what our team is going to do to your team tonight". Enough said really. We lost 4-0 and I had to do the walk of shame in my Socceroos jersey past thousands of cheering Berliners. A very unsatisfying end to a very pleasant day.

1 comment: